SXSW Events: Looking to build your itinerary but don’t know where to start? Check out The Dirty Team on Facebook – an affiliate of When Where What Austin that is entirely dedicated to being a guide for SXSW. There’s a ton of events that they’ve listed out, but here are a few that stood out to us:
- Create and Cultivate: An event joining the world’s largest tech and innovation festival, join founders and entrepreneurs from the most disruptive brands as they future-cast and share how they plan to stay ahead of the curve with web 3.0, cybersecurity, fintech, customer acquisition, and more. Register for free and get first-hand advice and resources from CEOs, investors, and executives, participate in intimate mentor sessions on pressing topics and trends, and gain real-time feedback on your strategies and goals. P.S. – There’s a gift bag worth $400 for the first 200 attendees! When? Saturday, March 11 from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Where? South Congress Hotel 1603 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704
- The Future of Food 2023: A two day official event series that is FREE & open to EVERYONE. Join them for exciting conversations with experts and innovators, delicious future food tastings, and interactive art installations. When? Friday, March 10 to Saturday, March 11 Where? SXSW Center Building, 1400 Lavaca St, Austin, TX 78701
- Free Concerts at Lady Bird Lake: These are totally free/open to the public (no badges/wristbands required), and run by SXSW themselves. This year they’ll have: The Zombies, Thao, SaulPaul and more. When? Thursday March, 16 to Saturday March, 18. 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM daily Where? Auditorium Shores, 800 W. Riverside
- Brunch Faire Market – Join The HUE Marketplace at the Brunch Faire Market for live music, local shopping, amazing coffee and great eats. When? Sun, March 12, 2023, 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM CDT Where? Cherrywood Coffeehouse 1400 East 38th 1/2 Street Austin, TX 78722.
- SkyFi’s Happy Hour: Any opportunity for free cocktails? Yes, please. This party is the final portion of the inaugural SkyFi Summit. Open to the public. Free drinks. Great music. Stellar vibes. When? Tuesday, March 14 from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Where? Inn Cahoots
- Camp Yellowjackets: A Showtime pop-up for the series “Yellowjackets” that will include free drinks, free BBQ, live music and camp type activities at a great venue! When? Sat March, 11 + Sunday March, 12 from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM Where? Fair Market, 1100 E. 5th
Events Not Related to SXSW: Not interested in participating in SXSW, but still want something to do? It’s still a busy week in Austin even without the festival going on!
- St Paddy’s Day Birthday Bash at Cork & Barrel: Need some St. Patrick’s Day plans? Look no further than this Irish Pub located north of Austin! The day will feature many activations such as 4 Irish bands, Irish dancers, satellite bars, a special Chef’s St. Patrick’s Day menu, selfie station and so much more! The event will take place all day from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. It will be Cork & Barrel’s second birthday, and we anticipate for it to be a massive party. No better place to spend St. Paddy’s Day!
- Rodeo Austin: Rodeo Austin is from March 10-25, and as you can expect, it is a Texas-sized affair, with daily concerts, ProRodeo events, livestock shows, carnival attractions and SO much more! From classic rodeo competitions to livestock shows, to the carnival, Rodeo Austin has plenty to do to keep you entertained! Watch barrel racing, bareback riding, team roping and more from top-ranked athletes, or enjoy the fifteen different livestock and horse shows during the Fair. For the carnival, enjoy hours of entertainment from carnival games and rides, shopping, food, shows and educational activities — and don’t forget to snag a cute pic while you’re there! For Live Music, don’t just expect country music – you can find rock, R&B, and so much more at this year’s Rodeo! The 2023 lineup includes Aaron Watson, Flo Rida, Sugar Ray, Lainey Wilson, Flatland Cavalry and more.
Avoid SXSW: Want to remove yourself from the action altogether? Totally understandable – we hate traffic too! Fortunately for you, you live in a city that can still keep you busy while avoiding downtown.
- Stick to the South Side: Most of the SXSW madness will be taking place in or around downtown, so your best bet is to stay south or north!
- El Naranjo: Get some traditional Mexican cuisine from the 2022 James Beard Award winning chef, Iliana de la Vega!
- Radio Coffee and Beer: Large coffee shop with ample activities like comedy, trivia and live music in a large outdoor seating area.
- Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar: Catch a flick at the drafthouse and enjoy some delicious food in the perfect movie theater ambiance.
- Easy Tiger South Lamar: Delicious brunch, lunch and drinks with cute indoor space, and expansive outdoor seating.
- Austin Java South Austin: Enjoy some brunch and coffee from this cute and quirky Austin staple on South Menchaca.
- Ramen Tatsu-ya South Austin: Enjoy the best ramen in Austin at their new South Austin location to avoid the traffic!
- Stick to the North Side:
- Q2 Stadium: Catch an Austin FC soccer game on March 14th, and be sure to grab some grub from ONETACO inside the stadium!
- DrinkWell: An Austin staple in North Austin with delicious drinks and food.
- Honeymoon Lounge: Quirky restaurant with delicious cocktails and a great happy hour!
- Thinkery: Interactive children’s museum… that adults can unapologetically enjoy too.
- Thai Kun: Enjoy some authentic Thai cuisine to spice things up!
- Austin Beerworks: Classic brewery with ample space to spread out and enjoy some beer.
- The Water Trough: A Southwestern-style restaurant in the Domain that is a converted barn with regular live music.
- Day Trip to Fredericksburg, Texas: Want to escape Austin altogether? Fortunately for you, we’re super close to a Napa Valley dupe that lets you escape the city vibes altogether! Only an hour away, go enjoy some wine from a very large selection of vineyards in the Texas Hill Country! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Ab Astris: A family-owned boutique winery that has an incredible selection of wine, beautiful grounds and a impeccable service!
- Safari Winery: A fun and charming atmosphere with delicious South African wine! Visit this winery if you’re not afraid of taxidermy.
- Crowson Wines: Classic and intimate winery styled atmosphere with a phenomenal wine selection.
So there you have it! A guide to Austin during one of its craziest months. We hope you make the most of it, regardless of whether it means participating in SXSW or avoiding it at all costs. Enjoy!